Thursday, November 30, 2006

He Wears Tiny Little Shoes

I was a surrogate nanny this morning for a newish mom in the theater community, filling in for the regular nanny - another member of the theater community. The bundle of loveliness is four months old. Momma was in a play I directed last spring, during which she was progressively more pregnant (hence, progressively more layered) as the run went on. She was fabulous. And it is no surprise that her small one is fabulous too.

Surely, it takes a village. Or at least, it takes a theater community. I like that about DC.

It was, dare I say, fun. Made my ovaries ache a little bit.

I dunno. I dunno if I ever want one. This morning I thought, wow, I really do. Then I thought, wow, I am not doing anything at all that would line up my ducks for that one. Not heading towards financial stability. Not even trying to date with purpose (someone once told me there is a yiddish term for that - specifically "dating with purpose" - does anyone know what that is?). Anyway, I'm so not doing that.


Should I be? How would I do any of these things? Do I really want to do any of these things? Will it be too late by the time I decide?

That's the tricky thing about having kids. You have to find someone you want to have them with first. Or you have to be so financially secure that you could find a way to make it work on your own. Which I completely understand would be very, very, very tricky and perhaps not fair to the children. Although I will say, there are all sorts of family units out there now.

So anyway. That's what I'm thinking about today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter