Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Busy is as Busy Does

My not very busy month before my busy months has somehow become very busy so posting is likely to be sparse.

Funny how that happens.

I am helping a playwright/performer get her one woman show up on its feet. It's a funny, wry, moving story about her trip to Poland to visit the village that her mother was born in and then her journey to the several ghettos and camps where her mother was interned before ultimately, miraculously, unbelievably, surviving the holocaust. It is an amazing story.

Working on it is making me think about all of the family stories I have never heard--on both sides. It is making me think about the trip to Poland and Hungary that the rest of my immediate family will take in April that I cannot go on because we simply don't get to do everything we want to do in life. And it is making me think about my first adult boyfriend--who wrote a book about Eastern Europe and who was so smart and so kind and I was just so very young.

I saw a reading last night that was a purely enjoyable time. Applause to
Solas Nua for putting together an entertaining and enlightening reading series and to everyone involved in The Drunkard last night. I went on the spur of the moment, which I rarely do anymore, and was immensely glad that I did.

I did, however, end up in a couple of
these conversations last night (thanks DCepticon for a great post). As always DCeiver says it way better than I ever could in his wrap up comment. It does seem so very silly to me. Last night when someone who was in the reading asked, "So what are you working on right now?" I went with "Well, I just finished watching your reading and now I am working on ordering a beer." Maybe super-literal is the way to go. I will say that I sometimes ask this question myself to see if someone has free time to do a reading or something of the like. But otherwise--everyone is right, it's boring, it's repetitive and it's tiresome.

I also do have issues with "How are you?" I know it's necessary but who really wants to know the truth? And except for very close friends, I am never going to tell the whole truth. Which leaves us at--what is safe to ask?

Oh. And I got my hair cut. The verdict is not quite out yet on that one.

2 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Joseph Price said...

My favorite socio-philosophical question for casual greetings is "So what's it like being you?"

More seriously, when I meet new people I like to ask them "What do you like to do?" It's a nice respite from that most popular DC question...

That doesn't help when greeting a casual acquaintance or a good friend recently out of the loop. I don't know what to say to them. In the absence of a burning question, perhaps we can just ask each other, "What would you like to talk about?" Then we could feel free to bring up a blog post on boingboing.net, a song lyric we have stuck in our brains, or a recently discovered pet peeve--mine today was "why must little kids always press their lips against the faucet of a water fountain?" It irks me.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

Ever work on a children's play? I have one in the hopper that may be finished by X-mas.

After looking at various playwrighting contests, I see that many want a director attached to it.

Hmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter