Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Monday



Yesterday was our first day off. Somehow this was daunting to me. When I am in DC I don’t ever really have a “day off”. Usually I work on my “day off” at my part time law office job. Or else I have shows that I absolutely have to see. I rarely have the chance to fill a whole day with whatever I want.

It was a little intimidating.

I also do so much more on my own here. I mean, other than rehearsal, I do pretty much everything on my own. Sure, I have gone for a drink with the cast and for dinner with several of the directors and staff here, but the decision to go has always been all my own, certainly no one saying, “You should go Citymouse! You will go Citymouse!” and in fact, I have had to actually be socially outgoing to be included in the first place. Which I am not used to at all.

But more on that later.

So yesterday. I started by wandering downtown in search of a cup of coffee. I’d tried the independent coffee shop and the Starbucks, and wanted to check out the third shop I pass on my way to the theater, some Java something. I was pleased to discover they have free wireless, so I was able to get a long email sent out about the show I am working on next – which was the one thing I absolutely, indeed-y, had to get done today.

As I was victoriously pushing “send” I noticed that the barista was sort of staring at me. “We close at noon today. Sorry.” Of course they do. It’s some sort of holiday, right? Which explained why the downtown, which is usually moderately dead, was ridiculously dead this morning.

More on the Louisville downtown later.

I then wandered over to the Theater to check out the “literary office library”. They’d told us about this the first day – the front room of the literary office is filled with scripts which you can peruse and then copy if you so desire. I have a ton that I wanted to pull and I figured over the next five weeks I could do a little at a time (which will be very fun to lug home). Incidentally - if anyone needs a specific script that they have not been able to find, let me know, I'll see if they have it here.

I hunkered down to read, but at 3:30 suddenly the literary staff noticed I was there (ummm, I’d been there for two hours already) and quickly shuffled me out because they were about to have a meeting. Okay, fine, but why didn’t you tell me before you started the meeting?

Are you sensing a pattern here? Time and again. Shuffled out.

Sigh.

From there I went to get a tuna sandwich and then wandered over to “Main Street”. This is where the Louisville Slugger Museum and the Kentucky Crafts Museum and a small Science Center are, as well as several hip (for Kentucky) looking restaurants and design firms.

I made mental place markers for things to do on other days off (the Slugger Museum of course and the Imax theater at the Science Center) and then headed back to the theater. The meeting was still in progress.

Okay Citymouse, let it go.

With the scripts out of reach, It occurred to me that what I really wanted was to sit in a dark theater and watch a movie. Of course, downtown Lousiville does not have a movie theater. When I am king of the world, I will make sure that every downtown in every mid-size city across America has at least one movie theater. There are a dozen strip clubs within walking distance here, but not one multiplex.

Makes you think, huh?

So, mission arrived at, the movie quest began. But that will have to wait...

1 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Theata Widowa said...

Get yerself to Bardstown Road immediately, Child!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter