Saturday, December 03, 2005

My Entirely Meaningless Story



Arctic Actor recently wrote about savoring the moments of synchronicity that happen in our lives.

It is a great description that indeed made me think, "Oh, yeah, that totally happens to me. I read about a concept or a book or a new vocabulary word and then suddenly it pops up everywhere!" (This does not include obvious examples like Nick and Jessica's breakup, which you simply cannot help but encounter at every turn since every single celeb magazine on line in CVS features a version of the headline "Why Nick and Jessica Split.")

So, in typical synchronistic fashion, I read the post, and then had a definite synchronicity moment of my own.

Nobody should care anything about this story. But I felt compelled to share.

So, the other day I am in a bar and "Some Like it Hot" came on in the background. The bar had played an eclectic mix of 80s hits and contemporary stuff (Coldplay and Radiohead kind of picks) throughout the night, and then the unmistakable drum beat of "Hot" came on. Feeling smart I said, "Jeez, now it's Duran Duran? Who is picking this stuff?" My friend, who is if nothing else a treasure trive of completely useless knowledge looked at me as if I had just said that the constitution was signed in DC (ouch, Bright Eyes).

"Ummm, this was Power Station, not Duran Duran" he told me, trying not to sound too disapointed in my total lack of 80s music knowledge.

In my defense, I was a big musical theater dork in the 80s and much of the 90s, with very little pop music exposure.

He explained that Robert Palmer and the Taylor's had teamed up to form Power Station.

"Oh yeah, right" I covered, but had to wonder: "Come on, could anyone else in the world actually identify Power Station?"

Well, tonight I was getting a ride home from a friend after seeing a show out in Virginia. "Simply Irrestible" came on.

"Robert Palmer" my friend said.

"Remember the Robert Palmer girls?" I asked. "Their legacy has stuck longer than his has. Were they in every video he made?"

"Well, not the ones he made with Power Station" my friend replied.

I was stunned. What else have I been missing out on?

1 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger blog prince said...

Well, you may not be aware that Robert Palmer is dead. For more Robert Palmer info check out www.robertpalmer.com. And for more 80s synchronicity, you can't go wrong with The Police.

:-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter