Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Lions and Tigers and BEARS!

Wednesdays are the particularly quiet day in Berkeley Springs. Because it is a long shot from either weekend, I guess most shop owners here see it as the day least likely to attract tourists. BS becomes a pretty sleepy town. I had grand plans of hot springs and antiquing to happen today, but the weird calendar of closings and my limited funds are going to make that impossible. I will however, make a trip over to the DG for deodorant.

The show took a step forward yesterday. That’s all I am saying about that.

I feel perhaps I have been stingy in my praise of the natural beauty that can be discovered around this place. Yesterday, when I realized I would be here for only a few more days, it occurred to me how much I would miss having a view of the ridge that rises just behind the town. And the trees, and the green, and the clear skies at night.

On Sunday night we all had a cookout at one of my cast member’s homes, which is right on the Cacapon River. It was pretty stunning – both the drive to get out there (during which we passed the most impressive panoramic view of the river valley) and the actual setting. We built a fire and toasted marshmallows. Really, what more could you ask for (oh yeah, and we had wonderful food and great Belgium beer, so really – what more could you ask for?)

That night after all the human life left, apparently the property was visited by life of a different sort. There was evidence that a bear had investigated the campfire site the next morning, probably attracted by the smells and sounds of people eating. The woman who lives there (who is the wonderfully self-actualized acupuncturist) interpreted the presence of the bear to represent a reawakening – a coming out of sleep – a rebirth.

I couldn’t ask for a better omen for this play.

4 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dad ran over a bear a few weeks back. not ran over, really...the bear hit his car, dented the crap out of it and then walked away.

come back HERE now!

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger SAS said...

Oh my god!? In NEW JERSEY!!!??

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger SAS said...

Oh my god!? In NEW JERSEY!!!??

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, they live in the forest...stupid bears. come. back. here. now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter