Thursday, May 19, 2005

Babies Having Babies

I have learned during my time in West Virginia not to act surprised when I meet someone here who has multiple children and hasn't yet hit thirty. It makes me sound like a judgmental elitist asshole, and even though that's exactly what I am sometimes, it is better not to sound like one.

However, today I worked another lunch shift at our little cafe, and I met a nineteen-year-old coworker with three kids. Nineteen. Three kids.

Okay, so, kid number one, perhaps a mistake. (She's five. So mama-waitress had her oldest when she was fourteen. Does anyone have a child at fourteen intentionally? And if they do, shouldn't someone be stopping then?) But then she went and had two more. In a pretty short span of time. I guess she liked being a mama. At fourteen. So much so that she decided to be a mama again. At fifteen. And at seventeen.

I had a debate with a friend over this who said, "Well, one hundred years ago people often DID have kids at fourteen. It was the norm."

But one hundred years ago people lived on farms and agrarian families needed as much help as they could get to plow the fields. One hundred years ago the life expectancy was something like fifty, so fourteen was our twenty-five. One hundred years ago we still allowed child labor, and was that a good thing? One hundred years ago THE WORLD WAS A LOT DIFFERENT.

He had valid points in his argument, I'm sure. I don't know why this whole thing riled me up so much.

I guess I just think of those three kids. And while mama-waitress seemed like a sweet and lovely person, she seemed more than anything else, like, well -- a nineteen-year-old. It just doesn't seem fair that kids should be brought into the world by someone who is still very much a kid themselves. And sure, I bet she loves her kids and cares for them the best she knows how, but it just seems so... irresponsible, and well... selfish.

God, do I sound like a republican? This has nothing to do with the welfare system. It is just about people thinking about their responsibility to this planet and to their children. It is about giving kids a fighting chance by waiting until one has some knowledge of life, before bringing a new one into this world. Obviously, I couldn't ask her for any more details about her situation without sounding like a total asshole. But it just doesn't compute. No matter how I work it out in my head.

2 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Blogger SAS said...

I kind of go through some of these questions in a later post where I get down on myself for sounding judgemental and classist.

But I won't back down entirely. I feel very strongly that bringing kids into this world is a huge responsibility, and I do wish that people took that responsibility more seriously. This girl was a kid. You only had to talk to her for ten minutes to realize that. Her main concern one friday was whether her boyfriend's mom would be on time to pick up the kids so that she and baby-daddy number two could go get beer for their camping trip. Mind you -- neither was actually legal to buy beer.

Having babies made her a mom, but it certainly didn't make her an adult.

I really don't think those kids will have a fair shot. Hopefully they will have some strong adult role models in their lives, because it was hard for me to believe that this girl would be that for a long, long time.

And the birth control thing is huge - I agree. One girl in the town said it was very hard to annonymously get birth control in such a small town. I said, "well, what about condoms?" and she explained that girls don't want to ask their "boyfriend" to use a condom because then everyone would think they had an STD.

Yeah, clearly Bush's abstinence only agenda is working.

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger SAS said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter