Thursday, January 10, 2008

Retired

I’m stewing a bit. I got an email this morning reminding me once again that I am a bad friend and a terrible person and that I hate babies and sunshine and all that is good and sweet and pure in the world. At least, this was the subtext. I think.

It’s a question I’ve mulled over here before, instigated by similar happenings in the past with the same person that this always comes up with. And I wonder--when do you just let a friendship go? When is it no longer worth fighting for?

This time I think I am pretty much done with it.

I am so tired of apologizing. I am so tired of navigating the emotional minefield. I am tired of trying to guess what is the right way, the best way, the only way to be a friend to my friend.

It makes me sad because we have been friends for over twenty-five years. That’s a long time. And I know, knowing her, that if the friendship ends I will never hear from her again. I will never see her, I will never know how her family is, I will never see her toddler or the one on the way make their way into childhood then adolescence then adulthood. I will be cleanly and systematically eliminated from her life. I’ve watched her do it to others.

She’s very good at it.

7 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

I had a friend do that to me (send me the nagging, needy and passive-aggressive e-mails about my being a bad friend, when I treated him no differently than I treated other friends or he treated me), so I eliminated him.

Real friends understand your personal situation, and are sympathetic when they nag you about being too busy.

It's best to cut dead weight -- especially when you have to work extra hard just to keep youself afloat.

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It blows. But you just gotta let it go. Friends ADD to your life, not make you sad and feel small and bad about yourself. That's not what real friends do.

Doesn't make it easy. Been there. But eventually when you get to the other side of it, you wake up one day and realize how much more positive your life is without that person mucking around in it.

I promise.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with these other two. Been where you've been and even experienced similar feelings about such a relationship with a lady I considered my "bestest" friend for about 25 years. I even asked myself for many years, "Why do I bother?" Then I cut that bond, never heard from her again, and I've missed nary a thing!

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe its time to move on. Maybe were not meant to have a best friend for life. maybe were allowed to have a few best friends in a lifetime. Maybe you have a new best friend.

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.qwantz.com/archive/001138.html

that's all I have to say about babies.

Nice to see you, when I see you!

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

This is pretty damn awesome, too (though unrelated) ...

http://www.qwantz.com/archive/001139.html

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Matthew Halbe said...

Can't be much of a friend if she never reads your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter