Friday, January 04, 2008

Something Fishy

I made this yesterday. Myself.

It was tasty.

It was easy.

I used pre-prepared pesto sauce and made a side dish of packaged couscous that already had stuff thrown into it, to which I added re-constituted sundried tomatoes. And it was quick and easy and tasty and relatively wholesome. Best of all, making this got me over my fish phobia. I did cook on a somewhat regular basis, many years ago (like, 1994-1996) but at the time I cooked only veggie food because I wasn’t eating seafood yet. So my window of cooking confidence includes no meat or fish, which is fine for me but a bit limited when you want to share dinner with someone else.

C and I had a sort of unspoken new year’s resolution to eat at home more often, schedules allowing. Eating out is such a drain of money and it allows for so little control over what we are putting into out bodies. We’ve had some time; it seemed like a good thing to start doing.

The other night C improvised a fabulous meal of salmon, sautéed mushrooms, and roasted sweet potatoes. I am not one to improvise, especially when it involves a part of the meal that was once alive, so I followed the Cooking Light recipe for my turn at bat.

And I am telling you, it was really, really good!

And I am only repeating this over and over again because I am completely lacking in confidence when it comes to any of my domestic skills. In another day and age, when women were valued for their abilities to maintain an orderly home, cook a well-balanced meal, and keep the laundry clean and the socks darned--I would have been a lost cause. Sometimes I think I still am.

Anyway, still more to say about the holidays and the new year, anon.

2 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger hpmelon said...

I made a mexican lasagna today - vegetarian - thought of you.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger april47 said...

I bet your mother will read this blog and be overwhelmed with emotion! And, how do we define "womanhood" today? Who is the real woman of the 21st century? She better learn to nourish herself or she won't live long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter