Thursday, May 03, 2007

Ways of Seeing

So the parental visitation was lovely. We ate, we talked about eating, we planned where we were going to eat. And we did some other stuff too.

The highlight meal, hands down, was dinner at Rumbero's (thanks Andy) where I had the best ceviche ever (admittedly, I only recently started digging ceviche). Also great fried yucca and tostones. And a pisco sour that was quite scrumptious.

After seeing my show (which my parents enjoyed, I think) we headed down to U Street for dessert at Creme. While the service was a bit tepid, the deserts themselves were beautiful and indulgent, and the jazz quartet that started playing as we arrived provided just the right amount of underscoring.

The couple sitting next to us looked as if they were on a first date (though dinner at 10:30pm seems like a bad plan for a first date). While I have not been on an actual date in about five months and should indeed be working my way back into that arena, I suppose... eventually... watching the awkwardness of the ritual made me happy to be sidelined.

On that note, I received this email from my best friend T in NY yesterday:
Subject: Set Up?

I have a potential set up in mind, if you're interested. Can you send me a digital photo?


P.S. You owe me a phone call.

We've kind of tried a set up once before, though the NY-DC thing proved too tricky to navigate with someone I didn't even know. I suppose if we'd really hit it off we might have worked harder. But we didn't, so we didn't. Nonetheless, I give her credit for continuing to try. And I know she always has my happiness foremost in mind.

I hesitated on the picture since my two most recent photos make me look like a boozy party-girl and a spaced out dancing queen, both of which I love (thanks hanvnah) but neither of which strike me as great first impressions.

Anyhow--next morning I get this:

Subject: Nevermind

When I mentioned the match to [T's husband], he said the guy was a jerk and not to fix you up with him. All I knew was he was a wealthy, smart lawyer, but I guess that's not everything.



Ahhh, how quickly we follow that which is bright and shiny. The wealthy part doesn't matter to me, actually, but the smart thing has traditionally been my achille's heel. Even when paired with the jerk thing. Which happens. Often.

T's husband called it a mile away. T was wooed by the sparkly object.

We need to be better about ACTUALLY seeing what is ACTUALLY there.

Actually, Actually. Right?

Anyhow--one more review for DALI. It's in the Express today, so grab a copy if want to see it live and in the flesh.























1 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're most very welcome. :-). Rumberos is yummy isn't it? Cool place.

Actually, actually yes.

I'll be at Flu Season tonight. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter