Friday, August 12, 2005

More Momma Love

Interestingly, after waxing sentimental about my muthah yesterday, I followed a string of comments about a fellow blogger's mom on her site.

She warned her daughter that it looked like she was gaining weight. Rather that she was "getting fat".

Wha the fuuuuu....?

Momma doesn't do those things to me. She reminds me about the nineteen hours of labor she endured to bring me into the world (see below) but come on - after nineteen hours she deserves that opportunity.

Do other mothers remind their daughters to watch their weight? Their 20-30-year-old daughters? Doesn't that seem a bit... Inappropriate? Unnecessary? Controlling? Obnoxious? Misguided? Retro?

Wrong?

3 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

My mother likes to ask me "how the weight loss is going" and tell me rousing anecdotes of "old so and so who went on weight watchers and lost 30 pounds doing nothing but walking and weight watchers, isn't that amazing" and "mrs. whatnot from down the street who goes to curves and looks wonderful, have you been using your gym membership?"

She cares about me. she means well. I love her very much. But I swear part of me likes being fat just to make her mad.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said...

We'll probably do it to our kids too, without even realizing it. We say things like "I'll NEVER do that to my kids," until we grow up and become our mother.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger SAS said...

Don't get me wrong -- my mother asks me all sorts of other cringe-worthy questions (How are things financially? Are you feeling more stable now? Do you ever think about looking to do something more 'secure' in the future?)

But I think she steers clear of the weight thing because of dangerous and stupid things I did to my body when I was eighteen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter