Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Histrionics II

I did try to ignore the stuff that Sandwich Repair Man was posting on my blog, because I had the uneasy feeling that I'd gotten in over my head with this one and also because it was becoming clearer and clearer to me that this wasn't at all why I started a blog in the first place, and like I said, therefore not worth the battle.

But now I feel I have to address them, because, well, because now he is just being mean. I will not remove any other posts unless they dabble in bizarro stalker-world, and I have any fear for my own safety.

He has asked for further explanation, and I can give that. I happened upon his site, much by accident, because I was looking for an article about the big friendswap party my friend Eric and his friends initiated several years ago. I wasn't going to it because I wasn't single. But I had explained the concept to a friend, and was trying to remember the details. What came up when I googled the name was Sandwich Repair Man's site, who had apparently had an exchange with the Friendswap people about their choice of location for the event, and the lack of consideration for its smokefree patrons.

Very valid point, SRM.

Anyhow, I started browsing around the site, and while it had nothing to do with me or anyone I knew I found myself unable to stop reading, or looking, as it were -- just like when YOU PASS A CAR WRECK. That was the car wreck analogy. It was not implying that your life was a car wreck, it was simply that, in the insidious way blogs have about them, I was unable to turn away from it even though I had no real reason to want to keep looking.

And at that time the bulk of the posts on the site were about dating frustrations. Some I read and found I sympathized with SRM, some totally annoyed me, and some I did find questionable in taste (like the email conversation that was posted between SRM and a coworker. Maybe the coworker was totally cool with it. Maybe she even liked the attention. But the idea of posting an entire email conversation about whether or not someone wanted to date SRM made me uneasy.)

I read it for a while, then pretty much stopped while I was away and busy, and yes -- living my own life. But then when I was back here in DC and trolling around the internet during a day job, I read through a whole debate, spanning several sites, about men paying for dates. It was a springboard for a post I wrote. I am sure I made it much more about SRM than I should have -- I should have kept it to my own opinions on the matter -- but I didn't. And like I said, I had no idea that SRM's statcounter would lead him back to my site. Lesson learned.

I am sorry that I hurt your feelings, SRM. I did not mean to do that. I am sure you are a cool person, interested in politics, and the world, and music and art, concerned about the fate of this planet and our country (despite your love for our neighbors to the North) and did not deserve to feel singled out by me. I am sure you have a lot to offer the world, and much to give to a special female.

My feeling was that you focused too much on getting a date and on your experiences (or lack thereof) and that this was holding you back. But what do I know?

The fact is, women will probably pretty much always be able to get laid whenever they want, if that is what you wanted. So perhaps I had trouble being sympathetic to the cause. I'm pretty average looking -- average to generous build and nothing exceptional when it comes to sense of style or humor or grace, perhaps a bit brighter than your average bird, but my knowledge base is extremely specialized and limited -- so, overall middle-of-the-road. And yet, finding someone to date has not typically been a struggle. Finding someone that I really LIKE to date - tougher. Making a RELATIONSHIP work - much tougher. But I think women do have it easier along the lines of finding someone at least to date, and probably to sleep with. And maybe that's a problem.

Anyhow, that was what first got me going with the SRM references. Oh! And by the way -- I never thought you wrote the Double Your Dating Crap. I KNEW they were sent to you from some frat boy Neanderthal trying to market on a fella's insecurities. See -- like I said -- brighter than the average bird! Dude, I even outscored Natalie Portman on my SAT's!

So, there you have it.

Now, some of the comments that SRM has been posting have been raising my ire (Just like my mom said! He just wants to get a rise out of me!!) and I guess, in my little histrionic, impulsive brain, I feel like they need a response.

Why is DC theatre so much worse than Seattle's, anyway?

Wow. What definitive statement. I'd love to hear about the theater you have seen in Seattle, and the complaints you have with DC theater. As a young(ish) theater artist in this town, I would love to know what keeps people from outside the theater community coming, and what keeps them away. And I WISH Seattle's theater scene was doing as well as you seem to think. Quite the opposite, actually. The fringe festival (in a town where the fringe element has always been strong and kicking in every scene: literature, music, art...) went bankrupt about two years ago, and as far as I know, has not been able to pull itself back up. The Empty Space, one of the first cutting-edge (as it were) theaters in Seattle almost went under last year. So SRM, if you love Seattle theater -- please! -- support it! Encourage your friends in Seattle to support it. I would hate to see the theater scene in any city die out. The more the merrier.

On a brighter note, the scene here in DC is continually growing, with the very exciting addition of our very own fringe festival next Summer. I worry whether we can continue to bring audiences into the many growing, renovated, and expanded spaces popping up all over the city -- but the growth is exciting none-the-less.

And speaking of Canada -- Canada has a fabulous theater scene! Many of the most exciting plays I've read this year have been from Canadian playwrights. So surely -- when you get up to Quebec -- do check out the scene up there. D'accord?

Okay. Gotta go meet a playwright and talk about hostages in Lebanon. More on this later, or tomorrow.

10 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

BTW -- I think SRM was commenting on the fact that his comments were still "posted" to your sight as of the 11th.

As your friend: don't delete anything else on your blog, and you've explained yourself enough.

SRM is a bully -- he was probably bullied by the physically superior as a kid, and know uses his perceived intellect to bully others.

He seems to like to find fault with things too, as demonstrated by your Friendship party mention, but isn't too quick with the solutions or compromise. He'd rather be in Canada.

*The foregoing is inferred from comments made by SRM and in no way should be construed as anything other than the truth as I perceive it.

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, bad link to the DC Fringe. One to many http:s.

Sorry, I'm a dork...

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

Ah, but if any of you bothered to get some sense of who I am (or email me as hasn't happened yet), you might in fact learn that I have had rather a lot to do with solutions and compromise over the years. That would be why, for example, I was elected president of my co-op and have neighbours stopping me on a regular basis lamenting the fact that I am moving out. I also spent a rather critical 2 years working for the absolute best lawmaker there was in the country. He was a role model and hero to me. Part of the reason for going to Canada, where I have no idea how long I'll stay, is that working in politics (finding compromises and solutions!) has simply been too emotionally difficult with my hero dead. A lot of friends treat me as a problem-solver, which fits my personality type, because I can hear all the facts and listen to all sides of an argument and amicably, empathically, propose a reasonable and fair solution. What has probably frustrated me most in this case, and unfortunately it hasn't been the only one at this point, is that people pay no respect to the facts or evidence. Am I that bad a bully for expecting people to back up their arguments with examples? To refrain from exaggerations and outright fabrications? I mean, I guess no one around here is a fan of the Al Franken Show, since sticking to the facts is a fundamental premise of what he does.

Seattle theatre is much more accessible than that in DC. It's affordable to an average, run of the mill, underpaid non-profit worker. Companies there put on plays that are actually challenging and off the beaten path--like what Woolly Mammoth tries to do--but half the time WM plays end up just being juvenile or stupid, like a pointless SNL skit you wonder how long they'll beat to death before commercial. I'm not in a place where I can think and explain at length on this, but SAS' question is fair and I'll try to return to it for a fuller response.

SAS, I did think you were Jewish. I guess I don't recall why I thought that. (Don't have the time to check at the moment) But my apologies for mistakenly assuming you were Jewish. Yes, there are actually studies showing that Jewish men and women have negative opinions of each other and prefer to date gentiles. To an extent, I do think the reality may be that people belonging to a certain group are allowed to criticize it. If a black person says the N word, it's far less offensive than if I say it. So I don't. Furthermore, my general speculation would be the same as why I think the Jewish psyche (and even gene pool) are fairly messed up. The gene pool thing is easy, centuries of procreating only within a very small set of people, and you get genetic problems. (e.g. Tay-Sachs Disease) On the psyche, it's harder and more complicated, but basically after centuries to millenia of persecution, with no one below them to foist that onto emotionally, I think it got or gets turned inward. I work in a Jewish organization, I see it often, and my coworkers for the most part would agree.

As for the conversation by email with my coworker. I'm very thankful that someone has finally pointed out a concrete example of what I was being accused of. There are some mitigating circumstances, like the fact that she lives in NYC, in retrospect tried to get me to sleep with her the night we were staying in the same hotel, and very unfairly got 2 of my other coworkers in trouble based on a fictitious allegation that they had sexually harassed me. (Hello Pot? Meet kettle.) And finally, that was in mid-March when no one, to my knowledge, was actually reading my blog except maybe a couple friends. Keep in mind that I identified her by no more than her first name (which I don't do anymore), and that my own identity is totally anonymous. My name, picture, employer, etc. appear absolutely nowhere on my blog. With the exception of people who already know me pretty well, it cannot be tracked to me. That all said, perhaps I should not have posted the conversation at all. Perhaps there was a way to excerpt it. I have a tendency to post as much as possible so I minimize the chance of myself distorting the facts, but rather let my readers see them and draw their own conclusions based on the same evidence I am looking at. I'm open to any arguments you have on that, but my gut feeling at this point is that said coworker is just fine.

Thanks for agreeing with me on FriendSwap. I thought the way they handled my situation was really obnoxious and inconsiderate, and even the 1 match they did give me never emailed back. Part of what I was doing back in February and March was showing just how impossible it is for a person like me to get a date, and just how thoroughly so many peoples' suggestions failed. Sex is definitely easier for women to find, I have been saving up a long post on The Market Price of Sex. I found men willing to pay $1500 to have sex with a woman they never even saw a picture of. Find me a straight woman willing to do that. I agree on dates too--you yourself said you were too shy to ask men out. I used to be too shy too, and you know what? I had no dates for years. Because society still thinks genitalia is what should determine who is supposed to do the asking. Very rational. Very fair. Very feminist and progressive.

Yes, despite what folks on here may think, I know I'm a great guy who'd make a great boyfriend, but in DC I've been barely able to even find a date let alone a relationship. I thought these issues should be put out to the public to see, because I think it's more common and more indicative of larger underlying problems than we realize. And because I was curious to see what other peoples' reactions would be to my foibles and what suggestions or analyses they might have. It hasn't really worked out that way, and I've been thinking of suspending my blog. BUT--my social life in many ways has become the biggest reason why I am moving to Canada. I have had so many people tell me DC is impossible to date in, socially fucked up, and that I just needed to get the hell out of town. I think grad school should be a much more conducive social venue for me.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

btw, if you haven't seen all my posts on volunteering to pass a smokefree law, or think I fall short in proposing solutions, you must have missed an awful lot of posts, including ones where I simply suggested that the FriendSwap people answer my email to tell me the party would be in a smoky venue. I also offered to help them look for a smokefree venue. Instead they kicked me off the party invite. I hardly think *I* am the one who failed to seek compromise...

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy good jumping peter paul and mary.

paul wellstone?

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger SAS said...

No need to apologize for thinking I was Jewish. I really don't consider that a negative thing to be identified as. It didn't offend me at all. The comment about Jewish women, did.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

Nellie McKay's release that you have on your blog includes a mention of Paul Wellstone.

I'm not a bully. I'd love to meet up with you and chat in person about all the controversy I've stirred, some of which I admit deliberately provoking. How could I live in Seattle and find DC theatre so much more disappointing and not mention that when you frustrated me? ;) I won't be in DC much longer though. The women in Montréal are definitely more attractive. Even if I can't date or sleep with any, they provide better eye candy.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger SAS said...

LS, I think he sticks to the hotty canucks...

And again -- SRM -- tell me what you find disappointing about DC theater, and perhaps I can point you in a more fulfilling direction in your last days as a Districter.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Sandwich Repairman said...

i already started to in my comments!!!! it's way too fucking expensive, largely pointless (Landless Theatre Company is awful), uninspired, often unoriginal--i mean look at the conversations you all have about it! it's all about the technical stuff like lighting, costumes, sets--who the fuck cares? or the 'oh gosh look at me, i can make metaphors, I'm so much more profound than anyone else outside our little clique'. what about the plot? what about the content? what about the message? what about not TORTURING the damn audience with 3 hours of gut-wrenching screaming for christsakes? (WM's Homebody/Kabul) WM gets pretentious. The Warehouse is far too crowded to enjoy anything in, the Studio is so-so... Discussions after the play with the actors et al and audience are a good idea. I have seen some plays I enjoyed here, the one about the aftermath of September 11th and how one tiny thing can make a life or death difference, the one in Silver Spring called Jesus on 121st St. or something, and most of all WM's Jump/Cut which is possibly the best play experience I've had here. But so much of it has been so disappointing. I have far better luck in Seattle.

I thought it was obvious I wasn't proposing anything resembling a date. Not that I can get a halfway decent answer from anyone as to what a date IS in the first place. I have about 20 days left in DC, no time for dating anyone here.

There are hotties everywhere, though certainly more in Montréal than DC. But hottie or nottie, they ain't goin out with me, so the point is moot. perhaps nude theatre would be better.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a name like "Lucky Spinster" does she have any place giving dating advice?

WTF.

What would moving guy say or is he history?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter