Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I *heart* Miranda

Last night I watched Sex and the City for the first time as a thirty-something-year old.

And suddenly, more than ever before, they were my girls.

I know, it is so friggin' predictable and cliche. (Technically) single urban dwelling female who has spent the last five years relationship hopping and dating totally relates to show about single urban dwelling females who have spent the last fifteen years relationship hopping and dating...

I can't help it. I like the show.

I didn't always. The first time I saw it my gay friend J talked it up as if he had discovered the Rosetta stone. "You'll love this show, really, it is so funny, and smart, and coy..."

I hated it.

It was the episode where Samantha falls for a Franciscan priest. It was so unbelievable, so over the top. I couldn't buy it.

The acting was cartoonish. The characters too broadly drawn. It seemed to condescend to its audience. And I didn't get the humor.

Now, five years later, I have rented all the seasons on DVD. At times, usually after a painful breakup, I have been known to sit in from of a TV and watch an entire season straight through, usually sobbing though most of it. I am not exactly proud of this fact.

The show has nothing to do with me, and ultimately very little to do with my life. I will never wear Manalo Blahniks. I will never have an apartment like ANY of the apartments we see on that show. And yet, sometimes, the things in my head appear on that little screen. More so than on any TV series I have ever watched with any regularity.

At this point I have four episodes left before I have completed the series. Then there will be no more. No more Miranda. No more Smith. No more brunches with the girls. No more post-it note breakups. No more good guys like Aidan and Steve and Harry. No more talk about bikini waxes. No more guys we'll never catch like Berger and Big (I know, I know, that may change by the final episode).

No more epiphanies in microsoft word from Carrie.

And of course, life goes on, but as hokey as it sounds, it was really great to have a tv series that for once, actually spoke to me.

And I love Miranda. Love her. I really, really do. She's smart, hot and sarcastic. What's not to love?

4 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger Artist In Transition said...

Love that show. Love. It.

Of course, as one of my multi-state, girlie advising posse would say, "Tha is why people think you're gay."

I'm OK with that.

And yes, Miranda is by far the hottest character. I just want to slap Carrie and Charlotte.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Artist In Transition said...

Metaphorical slap, not literal. Lest someone accuse you again of having a blog that is not feminist enough. ;)

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Humor Girl said...

I was the same way! I was like, "who acts like that!??" BUT, then I watched it from episode 1. I WAS HOOKED. I then rented every season until I watched them ALL. That was like in 4 days! lol...That's all I did.
I LOVE IT!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Humor Girl said...

BTW..In my last comment...I don't think i sound like that in real life. :) You know, like, seriously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter