Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Lolita was just a story

I happened upon this article yesterday.

Kind of depressing -- for all parties involved. The thirty to forty-year-old men who can't deal with the prospect of a woman even vaguely their equal, the girls who think somehow they will be a more important or special person for hanging out with middle-aged brokers and wall street meatheads, and the media who has decided that eighteen is the new twenty-four, and thirty is the new forget-about-it.

I tease my male friends about this, but in actuality - I don't get it. What is the appeal of a young woman (girl?) with zero life experience of her own who will look to their "older man" for guidance and answers about everything? Why would a bright, worldly guy want to share their life (or at least a few months of it) with a chickie without any strong opinions or points of view worth fighting for...

Maybe I just answered my own question.

(I don't mean to sound bitter. I really am curious.)

4 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Artist In Transition said...

I was married long enough to lnow this is one of those questions to which there is no correct answer. You can only pray you are hit by a tornado right after being asked.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger SAS said...

I know, I know, eighteen-year-olds are hot. They don't even know what varicose veins are. But wisdom and maturity... come on, that's counts for something, right? Right? Hello..?

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, the idea of oggling a younger woman has nothing to do with what's in her head. Wouldn't that be obvious?

You did answer your own question.

Some years ago my friend Amy remarked that she liked my other friend Jeff. Then she said, "I just wish he wouldn't open his mouth." Women oggle men too.

Sometimes age plays a factor, sometimes it doesn't.

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, wisdom and maturity don't necessarily correspond with the number of years we've lived. It would be nice if they did, but they don't. Sometimes they do. Though it seems to be more and more a rare thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter