Thursday, August 16, 2007

What I'm Eating and Thinking

This was the email I sent my family this morning:

So, I gave notice at the law firm yesterday. I needed to figure out what would happen with me being away in September, and after the manager I don't like and I butted heads yet again I realized I needed to stop putting it off and just bite the bullet.

The other news is--I got a job directing for an educational theater program that will have me in Milford, CT in late-September and early-October. I knew I might get the job, I should have told you that earlier, but I didn't want to jinx it (I guess I get my superstitious side from mom). That's only about 70 miles from Poughkeepsie! What fun, right?!

I'm looking forward to it. It'll give me a chance to focus for two weeks and assess my next move. Anyone got any ideas?

Other random thoughts:

* I wanted to write something about the wedding DJ who hosted my cousin's party in Lawrence, NJ but I can't remember what his name was or even the hotel where we had the party. I do remember his purple suit and gel-slicked hair, his non-stop patter and his fun for all ages party games. I remember that we played name-that-tune. The rest has been repressed. Maybe this is a good thing.

* I had to return a tap out in College Park today (as in "tap a keg") and we stopped for lunch here. I was in heaven. Or, errr, Nirvana. So good. So much food. Like $8 for this amazing vegetarian buffet AND they bring you a dosai as well. Seriously, all I want to do now is curl up and sink into a lentil and potato induced coma, but that isn't an option right now. This means I've had Indian food twice in three days which is strange since before that it had been about a year. Monday was Northern Indian though, and this is Southern, which I actually prefer. Perhaps this is the universe's way of celebrating my near conclusion of the Rushdie book. Yeah, remember that? Still going. Almost done. I started that in April. Pretty lame of me, right?

* I've been listening to Ani all morning (no particular reason). That woman, by far, has the market cornered on breakup/you've cheated/I'm cheating songs. Be they angry: "...Vicariously I have her in me, I want to peel off my skin, let the water wash in"; sad: "You are a china shop, and I am a bull, you are really good food, and I am full, I guess everything is timing, I guess everything's been said, so I am coming home with an empty head"; or determined: "I'm singing now because my tear ducts are too tired and my brain is disconnected but my heart is wired"

Ow, ow, ow, ow.

And you have to wonder, are these all about the same break up? Multiple break ups? Multiple, painful, messy, complicated, break ups? And you just want to reach out and hold Ani's hand. Because you know she's a trouper and all that, but it just sucks that any one person has been screwed over that much. Or maybe she's just particularly good at expressing it.

She and Fiona Apple should like, start a book club. Ever try to find a hopeful Fiona Apple song to put on someone's not-too-depressing-mix-cd? Nearly impossible.

* Watched Hot Fuzz last night. Loved it. So funny. Great writing. And I was actually rather moved by the relationship between the two lead men. Early on I said "Oh, he's reluctantly in this small town now so of course he'll meet a small town girl and fall in love and be won over from big city life". And the eq said "You saw Shaun of the Dead, right? Could you predict how that one went? No, right?" He was correct, of course, and the truest love that emerged was between man-friends/partners. Watch it.

* YES--received the passport. AND-bought the plane tickets. And guess what airline covers a leg of the trip? Of course it does. Hopefully everything will have blown over by then.

3 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger blog prince said...

if you want i can give you the info for my temp agencies. . . still law firms, but better money.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, I think some of the songs on Extraordinary Machine are much more hopeful and cute. for fiona.
and for ani there's Joyful Girl

I'm sad you'll be gone for a while. hey let's be in-person friends sometime soon

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger The Trendy Tailor said...

I love the Udupi Palace...Kittythin(g) and I stop there all the time.
When are you gone? I'd love to see you in person.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter