Monday, August 27, 2007

Against All Odds, Indeed

Sometimes the universe sends you all sorts of synchronistic ideas and thoughts and it's kind of beautiful and I enjoy it.

I have been thinking about relationships and love and heartache a lot. I've seen movies about relationships and love and heartache, I've read books about relationships and love and heartache. I've had conversations about relationships and love and heartache. I've listened to songs about love and relationships and heartache.

Have I ever, listened to songs about love and relationships and heartache.

Yeah, I can't stop listening to the Glen Hansard album. It's kind of ridiculous, the obsession, really.

And I can't help but think when I am listening to it that this would make a fabulous break up album.

I am very much not in the market for a break-up, mind you. Quite the opposite really.

But this is also what I have been thinking about lately. Break-ups come without warning. Usually. Or they come with warnings that we don't see, or don't want to see. And we can have that experience over and over again--that experience of a break-up happening and pulling the ground out from beneath our feet--and still, STILL, we have to jump into the next relationship full out! With both feet! No hesitation. Or else we are surely doomed for that hesitation.

Even if we recognize that "I've been here before and it eventually hurt. It has hurt every time before. It has hurt, say, eight times before. Eight times I have had my heart broken or broken a heart, and it hurt, it hurt, it hurt, and still, when I try to again I have to forget that all happened."

This is something different than selective memory. This is some version of selective amnesia.

I think it is tricky.

It would seem, by the basic principles of behavior modification, that once we fall in love, or some version of love, and we love and then are hurt--that we wouldn't ever do it again. Or perhaps that resolve wouldn't happen the first time, but by the second or third time it would seem almost self-abusive to knowingly enter this situation again.

And yet we do it over and over as if it were the first time. Or we have to aspire to do this or guarantee certain failure. What is that all about?

Again, synchronistically, This American Life is all about break-ups. I just listened to the segment on Break-Up Songs. It's great, and it totally makes me think--I should have done this every time I have gone through a break-up. I should have written a song, and then by now I'd have an entire album of songs. I just need someone to help me write the music. And then maybe I'd have to learn how to play the guitar. Because the best break-up songs are played on the guitar and not on the piano.

Do you remember where you were for every break up you've ever been through? I think I remember the ones where I was broken up with better than when I was doing the breaking. What's that all about?

I saw Eurydice on Saturday night. It was also about relationships and love and heartache. I am glad I saw it, though when all was said and done I was a touch underwhelmed. It might have been the circumstances--I had to spend more than I wanted to spend on a "General Admission" ticket--which ended up meaning sitting on a stool behind the last row of audience. Second Stage is a great space, and succeeds in making most of the house feel pretty intimate, but that far back I still felt a bit.... removed, I guess. And the play itself has a slight distancing quality, so the two combined did not help.

Now that I think about it, that play also has something to do with breakup songs. Because Orpheus' songs of loss are in one respect just that. Break up songs--right? So this has been going on for ages. Even the Greeks knew about break-up songs, they just didn't have Phil Collins to write them.

Otherwise, I spent a delightful weekend in Poughkeepsie where I got to sleep a lot and shop at malls. There was a little culture sprinkled in when we visited DIA: Beacon, which was really pretty great.

6 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger blog prince said...

Click the link on cognitive dissonance. That's part of it, I think.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Gwydion said...

I think we keep falling in love because we're evolutionarily programmed to do it. Even if we've been hurt before, we're compelled, chemically, to give ourselves over to a new person.

Millions of years of human history, in other words, lie behind every crush. How can one bad three-week breakup -- or even eight of them -- compete against that?

Just a thought.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger SAS said...

BP-Will do.

Gwydion--And yet, the giving yourself over to love time and again is a relatively new development. Our grandparents had one, maybe two great loves in their lives before they committed to someone and usually stuck it out for the long haul. Often it wasn't even about love but about convenience and practicality. But now we live lives that allow us (require us?) to fall over and over again. In theory, I like the scientific explanation. But being able to fall in love multiple times is not necessarily prudent for the survival of the species, is it?

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Gwydion said...

Our grandparents had only one partner, but did their grandparents? Or, more specifically, they're great-great-great-great-etc. grandparents? I think there's conflicting evidence about whether humans have always been monogamous (as I understand it), and that may be an effect here as well. I'm not smart enough to know :)

I do think that being able to fall in love multiple times is prudent for survival if what you have to survive is the loss of a partner. How else, after all, will you propogate, if you can't go to that love place again?

None of this, of course, obviates the difficulties of being a modern human in a complex emotional world... which sort of sucks, sometimes, doesn't it?

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger blog prince said...

Another way to look at is that our grandparents, etc., repeatedly gave themselves over to love to the same person over and over. Not to however many different people. I doubt that loving in any relationship that lasts a lifetime is completely continuous or that it doesn't involve risks, maybe even the same risks. Maybe it's even harder. We hurt each other, trust is broken, feelings are hurt, etc. Maybe even harder and scarier to trust and love the person who caused the hurt, the heartbreak in the first place. In our day, many would say that's just stupid. But I'm sure that in the course of lifelong relationships hearts are broken repeatedly.

We talk a lot about committed relationships. Keeping committed relationships, breaking committed relationships. But committed is different from faithful. Our grandparents had faithful relationships. (Most anyway -- and not just in the monogamous way.) They had faith and trust. Faith in each other and trust that when broken the faith would be restored. They depended on each other.

These days many of us lack faith in ourselves, and trust in ourselves, therefore, how can we possibly place faith and trust in another person?

There is no relationship short lived or life long that is without heartache and heartbreak. What you have in a lifelong relationship, hopefully, is someone who will see it through.

Some folks thrive on the rush of new "love," and when it wanes, as it inevitably does, they drop it and search for that rush again. That's an addiction. And the sad thing is it's unsually not quite as good as the first time. Which is why they are always in search of it.

Certainly there is always a point when it is senseless to keep going back to the person who breaks your heart time and again. And certainly there are times when one has no choice in the matter. But most folks these days are not as tough as our grandparents were.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would like to drnk with you as soon as humanly possible!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter