Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Flawed

Remember this quote? First posted in January, snatched from an email from my friend Laura, from "Awakening Loving-Kindness", by Pema Chodron:


But loving-kindness toward ourselves doesn't mean getting rid of anything. It means that we can still be crazy after all these years. We can still be angry after all these years. We can still be timid or jealous or full of feelings of unworthiness. The point is not to try to change ourselves. Meditation practice isn't about trying to throw ourselves away and become someone better. It's about befriending who we are already. The ground of practice is you, or me, or whoever we are right now, just as we are. That's the ground, that's what we're here to study; that's what we come to know with tremendous curiosity and interest.

Now, as you all know I am very much not into "self-help" or anything having to do with energies, mantras, chakras, smelly incense or candles, or any other assorted new-agey-ness. Not that there is anything wrong with these things. They are just not my bag.

But this quote? This lesson above? I think I need to tattoo it on my forearm.

The list of grievances I have against myself is staggering.

I procrastinate. I forget to pay my credit card bills. I have credit card bills. I decided years ago not to go to grad school. I waffle over whether I should have gone to grad school. I am judgmental. I am impatient. I swear too much. I hate to open my mail. I lose things. My room is filled with piles of stuff. I am horrible about staying in contact with people. I never remember to write thank you notes. I never remember birthdays. I don't go to the gym enough. I don't cook. I can be dismissive, loud, opinionated, stubborn, needy, selfish and indecisive. All of these things.

Oh, yeah, and I'm too hard on myself.

Right.

What if I fixed all of these things? Who would I be then? I wouldn't be me, surely. Would you all recognize me? Would I recognize myself?

I think sometimes, I could stop doing what I am trying to do with my life right now, right this moment, and it wouldn't matter. In time everyone would forget that I ever did it at all. I'm not a writer, so nothing would be left for posterity but google hits. Six people would be right there to do it instead of me. Hell--eighteen people, 300 people. Maybe they'd all do it better than I do.

And then other times I get overwhelmed by the joy of the creation. By how much all of this matters to me. Maybe too much. So much that I get angry when I think people are doing it wrong. I don't get angry that puppies and kittens are getting abused everyday but I get angry when I see work that I think is indulgent or dishonest or self-important. It makes me wonder about my priorities. I do get angry about Darfur and reproductive rights, so at least there's that.

A crises was due any day. This shouldn't come as a surprise. And to be clear--this is not me feeling sorry for myself, or asking any of you to feel sorry for me. Just thinking out loud.

And, umm, not to change the subject but...

Only four more chances to see DALI.

5 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The quote is right on. I love it. People don't change, people grow. People learn and grow. Some people anyway. These things. . . these "negatives" are part of who you are. You can't magically get rid of them. You can't change what's happened in the past. All your mistakes and failures and shortcomings make you who you are in the present moment. You can only accept these things, learn from them, and forgive yourself and learn to love all of the things that make you you. The positive and the negative. The harder you fight, the more you try to "live things down," the harder you are on youself, the harder you try to separate yourself or run from these things, the worse they seem to get and it may seem as though you even rebel against yourself. It becomes a cycle of sorts. And it all sort of ties together. If you don't forgive yourself, you will feel unworthy of others' forgiveness. If you don't accept yourself, you will feel unworthy of the acceptance of others. If you are not compassionate towards yourself, you will feel unworthy of the compassion of others. If you don't love yourself, you will feel unworthy of the love of others. The more we accept, forgive, love and have compassion for ourselves, the more we will be able to have and share these things with others. If you failed today, there is always tomorrow. If you fail tomorrow, there is always the next day, and so on. We all fail. Repeatedly. No one is perfect. No one. We are all human. Each and everyone of us. What matters is that we try and that we credit ourselves for trying. And forgive ourselves when we come up short. And realize that, no, nothing really matters but that we are good to ourselves and each other.

xo

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger DCepticon said...

Don't be too hard on yourself! You aren't that loud.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say Mother Teresa had a real problem with gas. Or maybe I just say that.

And Brecht wouldn't last five minutes on a Montel Williams paternity episode.

Come on, Shirley! Get some crazy crazy flaws! Don't just procrastinate -- try to PREcrastinate: work really hard to find things to put off.

Meditation is great. As long as it's not a duty, a tithe, a goal, or a penance. Be here now, as they say ...

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger SAS said...

Andy-many thanks.

DCepticon-just shut up and sing, okay? Miss you.

Karl-You want crazy crazy? You saw me eating my feckin fingers, I think that qualifies...

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger cometary said...

I wish you wouldn't list all my flaws on your blog like that. It's embarassing... Especially the grad school comment. And the piles of stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter