Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Suffering Artist


Interesting debate going on at dcist over the walkout/strike over at the Washington Ballet.

My comment may be a bit off topic (I haven't followed the dispute enough to have a truly informed opinion) but I happened to read the whole discussion at a time when I have been thinking a lot about all that we have to sacrifice for doing what *we* do. And yet most people outside of the arts still consider us privileged simply for loving what we do.

As if loving what we do will pay the rent.

Anyhow, I probably sound a little bitter, which won't help the matter at all.

One of a series of Washington Post articles that covered the controversy is here.

1 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Thomas Nephew said...

If you'd like to support the dancers, go to ARAW (American Rights At Work); they've really picked up on this. I'm blogging about it myself, here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter