Thursday, October 27, 2005

Drama Prom II


I am going to the prom with my brother.

Sort of.

This is funny because, of the many rather embarrassing rumors that circulated about me and my brother during our highschool years (including one that went around years after we graduated - that my parents had thrown a huge "coming out" party for my brother, who is not gay) one that reemerged every spring was that we were going to prom together.

We did not. I mean, not as dates, I guess one year we all drove together... but, but...

Come on!

We did, however, go to the eighth grade formal together, but still not as dates! I mean, come 'on, get real... sheesh.

The eighth grade formal. I wore a peach bubble dress with a lace overlay. Yes, that's right, a peach bubble dress.

Nick F was the only person who asked me to dance, towards the end of the evening. I said, "No, I have to run to the bathroom" because the idea of dancing with a boy terrified me.

I was somewhat better adjusted by prom time. For my junior prom I asked Paul McK, who was the totally cute trumpet player in the show choir band. He was phenomenally talented, and I think went on to major in music at the Eastman School of Music. We had gym together, and used to joke around during archery. He was funny, smart, and Irish, three things that would turn out to be weaknesses as life proceeded.

We danced, but we didn't kiss (as I recall). I ended up drinking much too much warm red wine that night, and making out with my friend R, who was secretly in love with my best friend B, and then we went to the beach in the morning and I got very sick.

Ahhh, yes, these are the times to remember, 'cause it will not last forever.

Thank you, Billy Joel.

Anyhow - that award I mentioned that my brother was nominated for? The Jefferson Award? (Which are the equivalent of the Tony's in NY, or the Helen Hayes here, or the Barrymore's in Philly). Well, he decided at the last minute that he wanted to go, and since his girlfriend (see, I told you he wasn't gay) could not go, I was enlisted.

So, now I get to go see Drama Prom, the Midwest Version.

I always have a good time at the Helen Hayes awards, even when I am drinking more than I should and trying to accost ex-boyfriends, so hopefully being totally anonymous and knowing, really, no one, will not keep us from having a good time in Chicago.

Besides, I love Chicago.

Don't think I ever want to live there, but have had great visits in the past.

Just don't tell any of the kids from our high school. They would have a field day with this one.

4 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger Joseph Pindelski said...

You would love living in Chicago... when are you leaving??? How long are you going to be there??

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger tonya.beckman.ross@gmail.com said...

Have fun in Chicago!! I used to live there-- miss the city madly, do NOT miss trying to be an actor there...
If you get hungry for cheap Thai, say hello to Cozy Noodle from me!

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am touched SAS. I hate to break this to you, but "kids from high school" just found out. Let the field day begin :-) Very Truly Yours - R

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger SAS said...

Oh my sweet R - and I wouldn't have changed a thing (except perhaps I wouldn't have wretched on the sands of Charlotte Beach).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter