Friday, September 09, 2005

FRIDAY

ONE OF MY BOSSES AT ONE OF MY DAY JOBS EITHER TYPES ALL IN CAPS or only in lower case without any punctuation at all ever

I'm not sure why she does that.

I read an article once where they analyzed the emails of people at different levels within a corporate structure:

The highest level (CEO'S, Presidents) tended to do what this boss does - little to no punctuation, no effort to proofread or edit -- generally emails written with the urgency of "I never have enough time in my day to waste time being careful about what I send to you! And you have to understand what I am talking about because that is your job!"

Mid-level employees (where I usually exist) are the most careful with their emails. They edit them as they would a formal letter, punctuate properly, give them paragraph form, and write in complete sentences. Perhaps this is owed to an underlying desire to impress, to prove themselves, and to move out of mid-level...

And administrative support (secretaries, admin assistants) are most likely to add foofy things to the emails. Colored backgrounds. Little jumping smileys. Unusual fonts. Emoticons. You really rarely see that at any other level. Which may be a result of: "This job is so boring that the only way I can keep myself sane is by choosing the perfect shade of lilac for the backdrop to my Outlook emails and more - the bibilical quote that will send people on their day feeling blessed for hours, days, even weeks to come."

I for one pretty much hate emoticons, and only use them when I need to be passive aggressive with someone.

So, yeah - I was very suddenly feeling kind of down and profoundly alone yesterday. It made me think of the people I miss in NY, and the people I miss in general - friends I've lost, or lost touch with. Which is where the post came from.

I form very strong attachments to people. Not to A LOT of people, but when I do, I really do. As a result, I have a great deal of trouble letting someone go. This is probably why my best female friend is someone I met when I was seven.

I have always been this way. When I was young and friendships ran their natural course (something that happens, especially, with adolescent female friendships) I would react so emotionally and extremely - lashing out towards a friend who had distanced themselves from me, or against myself for driving that friend away - that to read those journal entries now makes me wish I could go back and hug my twelve year-old self. I'm better now. But I still have trouble letting things go.

And I was wallowing in that for a bit, for a number of reasons.

I adored the movie ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND.

Because we try to do that. We try to write people out of our histories. And I loved that the movie proved that, even if it were scientifically possible to do this, the human mind will not allow it. Because once you have known someone they will shape the way you look at the world - even if only in very small ways and select moments - even if only once a year or once a decade - they are there, inside you, forever. It brings me some comfort.

The driving force of the play I am working on is the need to be remembered, to make a mark. It drives all of us, I think.

4 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was doing a dar williams search and came across your blog. interesting idea about people forever being a part of you. i completely agree with you. there is comfort when i am reminded of people from my past. when a moment we shared, a song or a memory comes back out of the blue and at seemingly random times. even if we no longer see each other or have completely lost touch. i love those moments. i can play back an entire summer of memories with a certain boy based on a single song. its cool. its just a shame that the reverse is also true. that a person can totally change and mess up the way you look at the world and experience things. and no matter how hard you try to shake those effects you cant. i cant seem take any comfort in that. just regret. i wish i could revert to the trusting person i was before they took that away from me. i guess right now i take comfort in knowing that dar had some similar experiences. spotless mind deals with that? i totally think jim carrey is obnoxious, but maybe i should rent that movie and see what you are talking about. good blog. (written without proper punctuation at my job cause im a peeon with my eye on bigger things) and to be more obnoxious
;-)

chi-town dar fan

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

Hey!!!!
Don't get me wrong on that last post! I had an experience so bad that I didn't act until this tour. She (could have been male, of course) was the reason I stopped. (A much better and funnier story in person with vodka).
I replied on my blog, if you want to see.

I am with ya on the need to communicate an idea, etc, as a palpable reason to do theatre. I just can't put my finger on what I want to say...

:)

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Tess said...

That study rings true to me--I'm one of those careful-proofreader-not-cutesy-font-users.
And I have been known to use a passive-aggressive emoticon. :)

I enjoyed Eternal Sunshine, too.

Tess

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The City Mouse is sometimes passive aggressive? Oh my.... I'll have to think about that!

After almost 58 years of relationships, I couldn't agree more with you. They shape our thoughts, our feelings, our views of the world, and our personalities. I believe that our minds integrate what we get from (almost) every human being we experience into what we are at any given point in time. Relationships are probably the major agents in the evolution of personality... even the little relationships that our memories hardly notice.

You are a sensing, feeling, emoting,and thinking person (thanks Carl Jung). It wouldn't be natural if you did not have those thoughts/feelings (down, alone) from time to time.

Too much focus is just as bad as wearing blinders. It is natural for the mind to wander to the past, and the things, places, and people we miss and/or may have lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter