Monday, August 15, 2005

What Next?



I generally avoid posting on anything blatantly political because I know that there are many people out there who are much better informed then I am.

It is interesting (to me at least) though, that the weekend I finally break ground on my next production (with a much awaited first read and production meeting on Saturday) on which I am working with two semi-Israelis, history is being made with the Gaza pullout. One is actually from Israel, the other has spent a good deal of time there and has family in Jerusalem.

I support the disengagement. I really hope it is what I wish it to be -- a leap of faith on the part of Israel -- because I think it is a leap of faith that is necessary to take a first step, really, in any direction. Though the whole thing seems awfully out of character for Sharon. Unless he is just getting wiser and less reactionary in his twilight years. Let's hope so.

Indeed though, the question of "what next?" is burning in everyone's minds -- supporters and protestors alike. No one likes the idea of people being uprooted from their homes. But they had to know something like this might someday be inevitable. My friend D - the one with family in Jerusalem - said what many of us are thinking. Most of those settlers came to Israel from the east coast of the United States just twenty-odd years ago, anyhow. They are not descendents of the first five aliyahs by a long shot. But they seem to boast enough piety for the nation.

As in any religion, extremists trouble me.

Check out these two pieces from the Economist. This one appeared at another site because I can't connect directly to the magazine's site, and poses that very question - "What next?" and the one here provides a pretty clear and concise telling of the issues at hand.

1 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What next indeed. Those are great articles. I think one can only hope that it is a postive step and that good things will come of it. The truth is probably a little on both sides. Sharon is probably softening a tad, but it's also in Israel's best interest to get out in many ways. It gives them some maneuverability and more of an ability to concentrate on higher priority settlements. And it does give them potential bargaining chip in what good be called an act of good faith. I think really the cost of trying to keep and protect a mere 8,000 people there was just too high. And as the articles state they could just plow into Gaza with their army any time they want to anyway.

I remember when I was in Israel and encountered these settlers from Chicago and Boston with their guns on their hips and cowboy boots on their feet with this sort of frontiersman idealism. The Wild, Wild Middle East.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter